Skate Cabal is deeply committed to the safety and well-being of all individuals involved in
our activities and events. This Safeguarding Policy outlines our commitment to safeguarding children, young people, and adults at risk, and it serves as a framework for the prevention of abuse, harm, or neglect.
This policy applies to all members, par<cipants, volunteers, coaches, staff, and stakeholders who engage with Skate Cabal ac<vi<es and events. It sets out the principles and procedures that must be followed to ensure a safe and inclusive environment for all.
1. The Welfare of the Individual: The welfare of all individuals participating in Skate Cabal activities is paramount. This includes children, young people, and adults at risk.
2. Empowerment: We empower individuals to voice concerns and take an ac<ve role in their own safety.
3. Prevention: We are proactive in preventing harm, abuse, or neglect through comprehensive safeguarding measures.
4. Responsibility: Everyone involved in Skate Cabal has a role in safeguarding, whether as a coach, volunteer, staff member, or participant.
1. Appointment and Training: All staff, coaches, and volunteers will be appropriately recruited, screened, and trained. This includes undertaking enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks where required.
2. Codes of Conduct: We have clear Codes of Conduct for all adults working with children, young people, and adults at risk, setting out expected behaviours and boundaries.
3. Reporting and Responding: Any safeguarding concerns will be reported and dealt with promptly and confidentially, following our reporting procedures.
4. Support: We provide support and assistance to individuals who disclose concerns or report incidents.
5. Confidentiality: Information will be shared on a need-to-know basis to safeguard individuals, ensuring their privacy is respected.
6. Risk Assessments: Risk assessments are conducted for all ac<vi<es and events to identify and mitigate potential risks.
To prevent abuse or harm, we:
1. Implement strict supervision ratios during coaching sessions.
2. Ensure that coaches and volunteers are never leV alone with a child or vulnerable adult.
3. Educate all involved about the signs and indicators of abuse or harm.
We are vigilant in recognizing the signs of abuse, which can include but are not limited to:
1. Unexplained injuries or behaviour changes.
2. Changes in participation patterns.
3. An individual expressing concerns about their own or others’ safety.
4. Reports from parents, par<cipants, or other adults.
Any safeguarding concerns should be reported immediately to Designated Safeguarding Officers, James Kaguima at 07491638133, or Esther Karanja at 07455 050040, who will follow our internal reporting procedures. If the concern involves Designated Safeguarding Officers, it should be reported to the Alternative Safeguarding officer, Jonathan Maina at 07415 240254.
Responding to Concerns
Upon receiving a concern, we will:
1. Take immediate steps to ensure the safety and well-being of the individual.
2. Document the concern and any ac<ons taken.
3. Report concerns to the appropriate authori<es as required by law.
4. Cooperate fully with any inves<ga<ons.
Monitoring and Review
This Safeguarding Policy will be reviewed annually or following any safeguarding incidents to ensure it remains effective and up to date. Any changes will be communicated to all stakeholders.
Skate Cabal is dedicated to fostering an environment where everyone can participate safely, free from harm, abuse, or neglect. This Safeguarding Policy underpins our commitment to these principles and serves as a guiding framework for our activities and events.
Date of Policy last update: March 25th 2023
Name and Signature of Person Responsible for Safeguarding: James Kaguima
Contact Details for Reporting Concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org / 07491638133